Installing the Assembly Connector (CMIS)
Please don’t hesitate to get in touch if you have questions. You can email us at email@example.com or give us a call at 020 3897 2888
Step 1 - Before you start
We recommend that the Assembly Connector is installed on your MIS Server, or at least another server with access to your SQL database.
- This machine should be kept on at all times.
- You should have administrator access on the server.
- Supported versions of Windows are:
- Windows Server 2008 SP2
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows 7.1 SP1
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 10
Step 2 – Sign up
- On the server, navigate to the Assembly platform sign up page.
- Enter the invite code, then your email and create a password. If you do not have the invite code, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ensure that you have consulted and accepted the terms of service, then click Sign up.
- An email will be sent to the address you signed up with - follow the link in this email to activate your Assembly account.
Step 3 – School information
- Start typing your School name to narrow down the search, then select from the list.
- You can also narrow down the search by entering the school postcode.
- Select Facility CMIS as your school’s MIS provider from the dropdown list and press Continue.
Step 4 – Download the Installer
- Press the Download Facility CMIS Assembly Installer button to start downloading the connector installation file.
- You should be installing the connector on a server which has access to your MIS database (you will need to have Administrator privileges on the server to do this).
Step 5 – Get started with the Connector Configuration
- Please note: you may also have to install .NET 4.5 as part of the installation process (you will be prompted to do so).
- Click Get Started to begin.
- If you are experiencing issues with the Assembly Installer tool starting up, you can have a look at our support guide on bypassing the proxy, which may be the cause of the issue.
Step 6 - Connection
- Click Connect to test your connection to the Platform.
- If your school uses a Proxy server, the address (and, if necessary, credentials) should be entered on this page. We will try our best to detect your proxy settings and pre-fill this section. If you have a proxy server and the address is not found automatically, you can get this information by going to Control panel -> Network and Internet -> Internet options -> Connections -> LAN Settings.
- Once you have successfully tested the connection, click Next Step.
Step 7 - Authentication
- Enter the Key and Secret to authenticate your connection. These can be found by going to the Assembly platform in your browser and scrolling down to the Access Credentials area of the Connector section.
- Once successfully authenticated, click Next Step.
Step 8 - MIS configuration
- Enter the following database information:
- Hostname: enter the database hostname. If you run SQL server under a named instance then you should enter this in the following format: hostname\instance (e.g. MIS1\SQLEXPRESS).
- Username and password: enter a database username and password (i.e. SQL credentials not CMIS). The user should be a member of the STUD_ADMIN schema on the Facility database (we normally recommend the default STUD_ADMIN account is used). Read-only access is sufficient.
- Database: enter the database name.
- Schema: enter the name of the schema.
- Please follow this support article to find your Hostname, Database, and Schema.
- Press Authenticate to test the connection, and Finish to complete. If the Connection is not successful, then you may have entered some of the database information incorrectly, please double-check.