Connecting to the Assembly Platform in Northern Ireland
Please don’t hesitate to get in touch if you have questions. You can email us at email@example.com or give us a call at 020 3897 2888
There are two important steps you need to undertake in order to connect to the Assembly Platform in Northern Ireland.
First, you need to identify a server or PC within your school that can be used to host the Assembly connection software. (C2K does not allow third party software to be installed directly on the SIMS server). This will be one of the following:
- Member server (recommended). The preferred approach is to have a dedicated server (referred to by C2K as a member server) which hosts all third party software for your school.
- Managed PC. If you do not have a member server, you can still install the Assembly software on a dedicated, networked PC within your school. This should be a device that is left on at all times (much like a server) and is not used by any staff for personal computing needs. Please note: Managed PCs are not backed up and software may have to be reinstalled in the event of a fault.
- Personal device (not recommended). In exceptional cases, where options 1 or 2 are not open to a school, we may be able to achieve an installation on a staff member's personal PC or other device. However, this is discouraged as it can lead to performance and syncing issues.
For more information on the above, please consult C2K's guidance on 3rd Party Products.
Second, you should log a ticket with C2K, who handle the IT infrastructure for all Northern Irish schools, requesting a connection to Assembly. In the ticket, please say the following:
- You wish to connect your's school's SIMS to the Assembly Platform.
- This requires a member of the C2K technical team to ensure that your chosen in-school device can access the SIMS.net server.
- They should add an allow rule for *.assembly.education URLs to the web filter on ports 80 and 443. Please ask if they need a full list of URLs that must be accessible.
After following these steps, you can then proceed to the installation of the connector following our normal SIMS installation instructions.